Calvin Bruse Myers
Chiang Mai police have yet to confirm the cause of death of a 57-year-old Canadian man who was found dead in his house. However, they believe long-term alcohol abuse played a significant role.
Every Sunday, a local house maid climbed the steps leading up to an old wooden bungalow located in a quiet area in Chiang Mai’s Mae Hia subdistrict. The property was rented out to Mr Calvin Bruse Myers, a 57-years-old expatriate from Canada who was known as a heavy drinker.
Last Sunday, the maid, who did not want to be named, tried to open the door, but found it locked and all the windows shut firmly. Since Mr Myers had hired her not only to keep the house clean, but also to check on him regularly, she started to become concerned.
Using a spare key, she opened the main door and entered the bungalow. In the bedroom, she was shocked to discover the dead body of Mr Myers lying face-up on his bed. The woman immediately reported the death to local authorities.
Mueang Chiang Mai Provincial Police Station investigator Pol Capt Gasemsit Dogan said he believed the maid’s testimony. An emergency physician at Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital estimated that Mr Myers had been dead for at least 12 hours.
In an interim report, Pol Capt Gasemsit suggested that Mr Myers had most probably died from hypothermia. He explained, “The more alcohol a person drinks, the less he feels temperature around him, especially the cold.” The night Mr Myers died, temperatures in his subdistrict reached a low of 15°C.
Professor Colin Drummond, Head of Alcohol Research at King’s College, London, explains this effect in detail: “When you drink, the peripheral blood vessels near your skin dilate. This means more blood – and heat – flows through these vessels. That takes blood and heat away from the core of your body. So while it feels like you’re warm because your skin is warm, but your vital organs aren’t as warm as you might think they are.”
Mr Myer’s body has been transported to Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital for an autopsy and determine the actual cause of death. The Canadian Embassy has been informed of the circumstances.
Note: Information published in this report are provided by Thairath . If you are a representative of Thairath and do not wish your information being displayed here, or if you are related to the victim and would like certain details to be not publicly available, please let us know.