May 18, 2017

Đậu Trung Hiế

A quarrel which broke out in a taxi between a Vietnamese couple ended dramatically with the boyfriend committing suicide after admitting he had been cheating on his girlfriend.

Police received a call from the man’s girlfriend at around 08:00 on Thursday morning. According to Khaosod Online, Bangkok Noi Police Station was informed of an incident involving a Vietnamese man who had apparently ended up in the Bangkok Noi Canal and disappeared from sight.

When police arrived at the Naval Transportation Ship Division close to Siriraj Hospital in the Bangkok Noi subdistrict, officers met a visibly distressed woman. She identified herself as Ms Ti, 19, whose boyfriend, Đậu Trung Hiế, had jumped into the canal.

While divers of the Poh Teck Tung Foundation were searching for Mr Hiế, his girlfriend told police what had happened. It transpired that she and her boyfriend, nicknamed Tai, had been at a birthday party in the Bangkok Noi subdistrict.

Since Mr Hiế was drunk and unable to drive, they took a taxi home to Thonburi, but once inside, a heated argument broke out between them.

“At one point, he confessed that he had been cheating on me with another girl,” Ms Ti told police investigators. “I was extremely angry at him and demanded answers. The dispute quickly turned into a major shouting match.”

As the couple approached the Arun Amarin Bridge, Mr Hiế told the taxi driver to pull over quickly. “He then suddenly leapt out of the cab and ran towards the Bangkok Noi Canal towards the Naval Transportation Ship Division,” Ms Ti said. “I tried to follow him, but he was much faster than me and got away.”

From a distance, she saw her boyfriend jump into the water and swim away from the bank as fast as he could. He was soon out of sight. She panicked and called the police.

It took divers more than an hour to find Mr Hiế’s body: it was found south of the spot where he had jumped in. Police confirmed that he had drowned. A spokesperson from the Bangkok Noi Police Station said that the case was still under investigation but that the cause of death was certain.

Police have notified the Vietnamese Embassy in Bangkok of the incident. Rescue workers transported Mr Hiế’s body to Siriraj Hospital for a post-mortem.

Note: If you are related to the victim of this report and would like certain details to be not publicly available, please contact us . Please understand that we will not remove an entire article or the name of the person.

Case Details

Source Khaosod Online
Date of Death: May 18, 2017
Last Edited: 2 years ago
Age: 20 years
Gender: Male
Nationality: Vietnamese
Cause of Death: Suicide
Province: Bangkok
Note: The displayed location might not be accurate. View on Google Maps »

Yes, ads suck. This is why Farang Deaths does not use any. However, running a website with several thousand readers per day does create costs. To pay server bills and in order to remain independent, we, therefore, chose not to accept ads and instead ask our readers to support Farang Deaths with a small donation.

If you would like to help to keep Farang Deaths alive, please consider donating.