A 44-year-old French tour company owner was electrocuted on Thursday night at his East Pattaya house after he attempted to fix a faulty water pump.
Police and rescue volunteers rushed to the house at the European-Thai Housing Estate but the house owner, Mr Francois Poncet, had already died. He was lying at the side of his house next to the water pump and had suffered a severe burn to his left hand and was declared dead-at-the-scene by a doctor.
Nearby was his distraught heavily pregnant Laotian girlfriend. She told police that Mr Poncet had earlier taken a shower but there was a problem with the water flow. He went outside the house to check the water pump and was not seen for some time.
She became concerned and went outside to check, when she discovered him lying on the floor next to the pump. He was still holding a wire on the pump and appeared to be convulsing. She realized he was being electrocuted and cut the power to the house but Mr Poncet had already died.
Police have recorded the incident as an accidental death pending the results of a post-mortem examination. The French Embassy in Bangkok has been informed.
Note: Information published in this report are provided by Pattaya One . If you are a representative of Pattaya One and do not wish your information being displayed here, or if you are related to the victim and would like certain details to be not publicly available, please let us know.