Nils Martin Sebastian Nilsson
A drug overdose is the most likely cause of death, police in Phuket believe after a 33-year-old Swedish man was found dead in the bathroom of a house he was sharing with a friend.
The friend, an Australian woman named Kimberly Ficmar, called the police after she had found the body of her Swedish friend, Nils Martin Sebastian Nilsson, lying motionless on the floor of the bathroom. Police officers of Phuket Provincial Police Station and rescue workers of the Phuket Ruamjai Rescue Foundation rushed to the house in Muu 4 in Si Sunthon subdistrict after receiving the call at around 21:30 on Monday night.
“We found the body of Mr Nilsson on the floor outside of the bathroom,” deputy chief of investigations Pol Lt Col Natapop Pongsaban told The Phuket News. “His head was resting on a pillow and pointed to the bathroom door. He was already dead when we arrived.”
According to the article, Mr Nilsson, who was involved in surfing volunteer activities in Choeng Thale district, had an open laceration on his forehead and blood coming out of his nose. “In the crook of the arm, we saw what appeared to be needle punctures,” Pol Lt Col Natapop described the results of a brief examination. “We also found a soup spoon and a used syringe in a shoulder bag inside the bathroom.”
A small package of a powder which the police report said resembled cocaine was also discovered amongst the foreigner’s belongings. In addition to paraphernalia consisting of foil paper and a lighter which is often used to inhale drugs, investigators also found asthma medication, a camera, a mobile phone, a key for a motorbike and its registration book in the bag.
“Ms Ficmar told us that Mr Nilsson had arrived at the house at around 17:00 earlier that day. Both of them were staying in the house, which she said belonged to a female friend who is currently overseas.”
At 20:20, Ms Ficmar was on the computer on the first floor when Mr Nilsson told her he was going to take a shower, she reported. When he had still not returned more than one hour later, Ms Ficmar went to the bathroom to check on him.
“The door was locked. Ms Ficar said she used a spare key to open it and then found his body lying on the floor with his face down. His hands were behind his back,” Pol Lt Col Natapop quoted the woman. “She then reportedly moved him outside the bathroom and started to administer first aid.”
When Pol Lt Col Natapop interviewed friends of Mr Nilsson the following day, he found out that the Swiss man had a history of drug abuse. “Other people who knew him said he appeared depressed since January when his mother died,” the investigator said.
“We suspect that Mr Nilsson died of a drug overdose. However, we are still waiting for the results of the analysis regarding the substance we have found in his bag and the autopsy report from Thalang Hospital before we can come to an official conclusion,” Pol Lt Col Natapop announced.
The Swedish Embassy has already been informed of the incident and forwarded the sad news to Mr Nilsson’s relatives, police confirmed.
Note: If you are related to the victim of this report and would like certain details to be not publicly available, please contact us. Please understand that we will not remove an entire article or the name of the person.