April 6, 2017

Paul Wilkinson

Police in Phuket are investigating the death of a British expat after he was found unconscious in his front garden after suffering a severe electric shock.

Chalong Provincial Police Station and rescue workers were dispatched to the house at 43/166 Soi Sungthong in the Rawai subdistrict of Phuket at 15:31.

On the scene, rescuers found Paul Wilkinson, 55, lying unconscious and unresponsive in a garden bed inside a small fence wall. On the other side of the wall was the electricity supply meter for the house, with various cables and wires dangling underneath it.

Mr Wilkinson was rushed to Chalong Hospital while rescue workers performed CPR in the ambulance, but he was pronounced dead on arrival.

When questioned, Mr Wilkinson’s daughter told police that she was in the house when she heard her father suddenly cry out, said Pol Lt Col Kanan Somrak at Chalong Provincial Police Station.

“I was inside the house. My father was working in the garden. I heard him shout and ran outside to see what had happened. I found him lying on the ground and shouted to my neighbours to help me pull him away from the danger,” said Pol Lt Col Kanan reading from Mr Wilkinson’s daughter’s statement.

Officers believe Mr Wilkinson died of electrocution. “We assume that electrical leakage from the power meter box could have made it through or under the wall. He must have touched the wall while he was gardening and received a fatal electrical shock,” Pol Lt Col Kanan said.

Police have asked electricians to check the box for leakages. Mr Wilkinson’s body has been taken to Vachira Hospital.

Case Details

Source The Phuket News
Date of Death: April 6, 2017
Last Edited: 2 months ago
Age: 55 years
Gender: Male
Nationality: British
Cause of Death: Electrocution
Province: Phuket
Note: The displayed location might not be accurate. View on Google Maps »