A 66-year-old American was found Tuesday morning after lying dead in his apartment in Chiang Mai for seven days.
The door to room no. 943 on the 9th floor of an apartment building in Central Chiang Mai was locked when Chang Phueak Police Station officers, rescue workers and paramedics from Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital arrived. Police did not name the building but witnesses say the incident happened at Hillside Plaza & Condotel 4 on Huai Keo Rd in Central Chiang Mai’s Chang Phueak subdistrict.
After officers forcefully opened the door, they immediately discovered the body of 66-year-old American Perry Boomeshine lying on the floor of his apartment. Police said he did not wear any clothes and was found only a few centimetres next to his bed.
In his room, many of his belongings were spread out on the floor. Among them, police found a syringe which, as they found out later, Mr Boomeshine had used to inject insulin to treat his chronic diabetes. Paramedics estimated the man had been dead for about seven days prior his discovery.
One of the security guards working in the building told police Mr Boomeshine had been renting the room since 2009 in which he had lived alone. He had received a call from his older sister in Bangkok on 27 April, who said she could not contact her brother. One day later, on 28 April, she tried again but Mr Boomeshine did not answer his phone.
Staff from the condominium then went up to check on him but did not hear anything suspicious. She reportedly believed Mr Boomeshine was not staying in his room and left. A consul from the American embassy contacted the condominium once more on May 2 at 10:00 to check on Mr Boomeshine’s whereabouts, but a staff sent up to the room again did not open the door.
Only when a maid noticed a strong smell of decay coming from Boomeshine’s room police was called to see whether anything had happened to the American tenant. Police then found the body on the morning of May 3.
Since no signs of violence were found on the scene, the head of the investigation assumed Mr Boomeshine might have had died after he got out of the bed to administer himself an insulin injection and then fainted. The current hot weather might also have contributed to his death, police said.
The body of Mr Boomeshine has been transported to Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital to let a pathologist verify the cause of death. The American embassy and close relatives have already been notified about the death.
Note: If you are related to the victim of this report and would like certain details to be not publicly available, please contact us . Please understand that we will not remove an entire article or the name of the person.