A 20-year-old German tourist died and her friend was injured after they were stung by box jellyfish while swimming at night at Lamai beach on Koh Samui last night.
Bo Phut station police investigator Pol Maj Udomsak Thappa said the police were alerted of the death of Ms Saskia Thies by Bangkok Samui Hospital around midnight. She suffered wounds on both legs, stomach, back and arms, the officer said.
Her friend, identified as Jiovana Rassi, also a German tourist, received slight injury as she swam to rescue her friend after hearing she screamed while swimming in the sea in front of Lamai beach. She is still in hospital for monitoring of the wound.
Investigation later revealed that both tourists checked in at a bungalow on Lamai beach. Shortly later, Bungalow employees heard loud screams from the beach, they rushed to the source of the sound and saw both girls in the sea.
They cried in pain with wounds believed to be stung by box jellyfish on their bodies. They were given primary care by rescue workers of Samui municipal rescue centre with vinegar to relieve their pains, and later rushed to Bangkok Samui Hospital. But Ms Saskia Thies died later from the deadly poisons.
The body of the dead tourist will be flown to Police General Hospital in Bangkok this morning for autopsy.
Note: Information published in this report are provided by ThaiPBS . If you are a representative of ThaiPBS and do not wish your information being displayed here, or if you are related to the victim and would like certain details to be not publicly available, please let us know.